Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Weekends Over Already?

I can't believe it is Sunday afternoon already. I didn't do as much writing as I had planned. I got sidetracked yesterday trying to do research for the book on line. I need to take a class. I spend hours finding nothing. Or I find it, lose it and can never get there again.

I wrote 4040 words yesterday though. That brings me up to about 42,000. I'm going to make 50,000 words. I'm so excited.

What amazes me though is that except for the first day, I didn't write huge amounts on any one day. It just proves what I've heard successful writers say. Write every day. It keeps you focused and even if you only can write for a couple of hours, doing it every day you build up your word count. And that means your book is progressing.

When I went to the NaNoWri site to sign up, somewhere I read that to do this challenge you need to turn off your internal critic. That does help. Because the point with a first draft is to get the bones of the story. You can flesh it out or trim it down when you do your second draft. Or in my case, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th--You get the picture.

I'll go from the cottage to our rental tonight. Then Tuesday I'll pick up the dogs and come back down here. I want to set my goal at making 50K by Tuesday. That's probably unrealistic with the way things have been going. So my goal is to write 4K words between now and Tuesday night. That will leave 4K I need to write and I can do that even with Thanksgiving in the middle.

Just checked my calendar and one of the boys has a long orthodontist appt on Tues morning. Vowing here to take my computer and write while he's there.

Well, I have to go drive up the road again. I was just thinking that it's too bad there isn't a way to dictate directly to the computer as I'm driving. Then I thought about that. I'd probably have an accident.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home